Making Pottery


Making Pottery

By James
Age 12

Our family hired a man to put in some faucets in our gardens and around the outside of our house.
When he dug the trench for the pipes, he dug up clay. We kids gathered it and made pottery. We added quartz from our rocks and already-fired clay into the wet clay.
This is a picture of the gray bowl (which is in the next picture) being fired in our wood burning stove.


I made two small bowls out of different kinds of clay.


I also made a cup,


a pot,


a letter stamp for sealing letters with melted wax,


and a planting pot for my older sister.




I pressed plants on the side of the planting pot so it would look like this.


I made a pottery wheel, too. It looks like this:


The way I made it is: I flipped a rotating cake stand over, taped a piece of newspaper and a piece of plastic on it as a cover for the hole on the bottom of the stand. Then, I got an Erector Set motor and put a rubber band on the spinning piece of the motor and around the stand. It made a gear to spin the cake stand.

I made this little bowl with the pottery wheel:


I love that God has given me the clay and the ability to make pottery out of it. I love all the natural things where I live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lasagna

The Cross-Stitch

Dog Sled