Fixing the Dog Collars and Harnesses

By Chase, age 13
Every time a dog rips a collar or harness, we put it in a bin in the garage to be fixed. Then every spring and fall, Dad and I sew them back together.

We need them in the spring because the dogs are coming back from the ranch. We need them in the fall for dog carting. (You can hear about the dogs from my little sister or from Mom.)

Dad and I each have our own sewing awl and wax thread.
sewing awl
The wax helps to keep the thread from slipping out of the stitches.
I have to make sure the stitches are tight and that the collar/harness isn't twisted or it will turn out wrong. 
When it's finished, I burn any frayed edges of the collar/harness with a candle so it won't unravel. The material is made out of is plastic so it melts together. 
the candle
the new stitches
It's really fun to work on these things with my family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lasagna

The Cross-Stitch

Dog Sled