My Winter Morning








by Chase, age 13

I woke up to my alarm going off at 7am on a cold winter day. Mom was picking up my older sisters so I was the oldest one home. I got up and looked out my window to see a few inches of snow on the ground and it was still falling.
Outside the window

The snow made me happy because it meant the ground was frozen and I wouldn’t be sloshing around in the mud while doing my chores like I had been doing for the past few days.

I went into the garage to get some wood to make a fire as my three younger siblings woke up. (It's my job to make sure there is plenty of wood into the garage every day).

While they were warming up by the fire, I made some eggs and potato patties out of the leftover mashed potatoes we had the night before. (They were made from the blue potatoes we harvested last fall so they look kind of purple).


Our farm fresh eggs
Potato patties made from blue potatoes

Mom was home by the time we finished breakfast.  We made our beds and straightened up our chore rooms and bedrooms to be ready for Morning Meeting.


After Morning Meeting, we put on our warm clothes to go out and shovel the walkway, bring in wood, and take care of the animals.
     



Chores in the snow


It's so fun to be here and sometimes have the responsibility of being the oldest kid home!

Comments

  1. Chase, I so much enjoyed reading this well-written essay! Your writing skills are excellent, and as a former teacher, I feel like your command of the English language is very, very good. As I read this, I started thinking of how these entries will combine to make a wonderful life journal that you can pass on to your children and grandchildren. Hopefully, they will be able to have similar experiences on a farm and will know that their father or grandfather shared the challenges of weather, animals, doing chores and accepting responsibilities. The photos sure add to your story, too. From your Pop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lasagna

The Cross-Stitch

Dog Sled